What do you do at Panther Labs?
Principal Web Platform Engineer. Currently, I’m responsible for enterprise customer-facing features that don’t relate to security. Those features include things like our public-facing API, our ability to support Single-Sign-on, our Role-based Access architecture, the Audit log trail that captures every user activity that happens and much more.
How long have you been at Panther Labs?
Since July 1st, 2019
What’s the most exciting part of your day-to-day work?
Honestly? Solving problems. I know this is relatively vague, but what I really enjoy is finding tedious things that have been done manually so far and introducing automation to them.
Imagine you having to start your day doing the same 5 things manually. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a software that does it for you with 1 click? Spotting these things & elevating daily work is my thing 🙂
What has been your key to success at Panther?
Trust & great leadership. Never have I felt that I’m being closely monitored or that I’m being micromanaged. This sort of freedom & hands-off approach allows me to naturally care & enjoy my work more. Also, transparency that flows from top-to-bottom is something I’m always mentioning to everyone that asks about Panther.
What do you feel makes Panther different from other companies you’ve worked at?
The core values that it has been built with from day 1.
- Inclusiveness & Equality (all engineers have a say and are valued equally)
- Transparency (we know at any given time what’s happening in the company inc. financial data, strategy, etc.)
- 0 Politics (we don’t have the typical politics that exist in bigger orgs)
- Trust (I don’t feel I constantly have to convince people that I’m capable of doing something)
- Close to customer (I actually see the communication channels that we have with our customers & it feels great to see feedback/recommendations about your work
Who inspires you the most? Why?
Tough question. I think each person inspires me for different things. One may inspire me to work out more & eat more healthily, another may inspire me to value my free time & put boundaries between my personal and work life.
In any case, in such a diverse environment, I’m always drawing inspiration from certain things that each person does and I’m trying to incorporate the ones that I like in my own life
What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
- CrossFit (started 4mo ago and I’m really into it)
- Hiking (the steeper the better)
- Road Cycling (I’m the guy with the lycra that you hate as a driver)
- DnD & WoW (nerds be nerds)
If you could visit any city in the world, where would it be? Why?
Aaaaah. Okay, so I do keep a priority list so it would have to be Cristchurch, New Zealand (generally any city in New Zealand’s south island would do).
Some honorable mentions are Kyoto, Japan & the Faroe Islands